Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hidden Skills

Brad and I are in the middle of making this awesome shelf that I'll blog more about later.  It's been such an interesting project and I'm learning all sorts of things.

I've never been a big woodworker. In shop class I made this plastic ring once, it had three colours all stuck together but when I used the belt sander to smooth the edge I ended up with two colours. I also made a cage for our guinea pigs and I can't tell you how crappy it was. That's really the extent of my woodworking.

While working on this project I've learned...
  1. I've always known I hated sanding but I just hadn't experienced a nice palm sander.
  2. An air nailer makes all the difference.
  3. Using wood filler is just like icing a cake. Load lots on, scrape 90% off. That skill transfers right over.
  4. I know the inch mark, I know a quarter and I know a half, but the marks in between means nothing to me.
Photos to come but we still have the tedious task of painting. Can't wait to see the finished product.

3 comments:

Sharon@thisthriftyhouse said...

I love you Laura!! Can't wait to see the finished product!! Do you really own an air nailer? JEALOUS!!!

Jenn said...

I remember the guinea pig cage was really awesome, not crappy!

Laura said...

I wish I owned an air nailer. We've been in Calgary using my father-in-law's really nice shop.