Thursday, January 13, 2011

High Chair Re-Cover

Some time ago I put out a call for projects because I didn't have anything to work on.  One of the responses was from a friend Carla who has a high chair she wanted re-covered.  A high chair is something I've thought about doing many times but we use one of those little clip-ons that doesn't have a cover so I didn't have a chair to work on, Carla's was the perfect opportunity.  I picked up a sample of vinyl from Fabricland to test sew and made some passport covers, confident that I could work with the new fabric I gathered supplies, Carla brought over her chair and went on vacation.  She'll come home to this beauty.

Here is the before.  I don't understand why all baby items must be so cutesy.

I was surprised at just how nervous I was to work on this project, I've done a ton of re-covering but when it came time to cut I was really hesitant.  Most of that came from this project having very unique challenges, mostly being I couldn't use any pins (I'd make holes in the vinyl) and I couldn't iron anything (melting!).  I solved the pins by using binder clips and tape and just did without the iron.

I started like usual by taking the old cover apart.  I wasn't willing to unpick all the button holes (where the straps go) so I cut around them.  Even though the old cover looks like it's three different pieces it was really just one that was painted.  Since I wanted to use solid black with the damask I had to do some careful piecing and that part worked even better than I'd hoped.  I also hadn't bought a long enough piece of the damask vinyl (I thought it was two) so I pieced it together lining up the pattern, I'm pretty pleased with how well it lined up and unless you look really close you can't even see where my seam is.

I added thick piping to the top (I had to make my own because both fabric stores I went to were out) and I put bias tape all the way around.  I hadn't planned on replacing the straps so I put them back on and it looked like this (except I'd already taken one back off in this picture).

I figured since there was navy blue on the frame I'd leave the navy blue straps to tie the two together but they looked awful!  The cover was classy and sleek and then you had these ugly blue straps.  I zipped off the Fabricland, bought new black strapping and replaced them.  If I'd had a larger selection of vinyl I would have chosen something to co-ordinate with the blue but with very limited options the plastic on the frame will just have to be ignored.


Here's what the back of the cover looked before




and after


I managed to hit some good sales so this entire project ended up costing $11.  Not too shabby for a piece of furniture that can now be displayed in her kitchen with pride.  Doesn't hurt that the high chair was second hand to begin with (I think it was even free).

One more before and after

It seems this is just like the strollers I cover, looking at the finished project I think, "well that wasn't too tough" but I distinctly remember hating lots of parts of this process.  The end justifies the means though and I'd do another in a heartbeat.

Sorry there isn't a real tutorial for this but being my first time I certainly wasn't ready to teach others.  I am more than happy to answer questions if you have them though.


Don't forget to check out my New Food Friday linky where we try out new recipes together.

33 comments:

Sharon@thisthriftyhouse said...

Ok Laura--this is my favorite recover job yet!! It looks SO classy! I love the black and white! You are amazing!!

MrsDixon said...

SOOOO cute! I am so going to copy this!

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

Gorgeous!!! You are amazing--I am not brave enough to tackle these kinds of projects! ;)

Mandy Coffey said...

i'd love for you to link this up at my party today (and every friday!) smallfineprint.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Darling, you could spray the blue away with spray paint...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

This is really cute! I love how modern and elegant it looks!

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

Very nice! I hate the cover I have on mine right now! This is a great idea!
Jo-Anna

Kim -today's creative blog said...

You are Brilliant! That looks SO nice.
Thanks for linking to Get Your Craft On. Can you please add a link back?

Unknown said...

You've been reading my thoughts because I am totally in the mood to recover my girl's highchair. I love how you did yours. It's very chic! BTW, I'm your newest follower:) Come be mine, too:)

Miranda
www.justdrinkacoke.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

You did a awesome job. I am getting ready to do some myself. I am having twins. I want the new(used) one to match my other one.
http://www.couturiermommy.com/

Christine @ sugarandtrash.com said...

this is really cute! I would never have thought to do this when my kids were little.....I hope that you will link it to my Show and Share Sunday linky party, going on all week. http://craftygeordi.blogspot.com/2011/01/show-and-share-sunday_16.html

Anonymous said...

it looks great!! Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings!! Make sure to come by next week! www.ladybug-blessings.com

Christina @ AccomplishingMotherhood said...

Would have loved something like this for my kids high chair! Great gob, Im impressed!
following now:)
Cruised over from Thrilling Thursday :)
http://accomplishingmotherhood.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

very impressive, it looks wonderful! I'm sure your friend was super happy to do away with the old cover, I know I would be!

Here from PP!

https://jennoreilly.wordpress.com/

AllieMakes! said...

SUPER job! Very impressive! ANd a little FYI you can make your own vinyl out of whatever fabric you like! It opens up a whole word of posibilities!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Sassy Sites! said...

This is amazing!!! I want one and I don't even have a baby to put in it! I just want it to set in my kitchen and look fabulous! I absolutely LOVE it!!! Thanks for linking up at Sassy Sites for our Trash to Treasure Tuesday! Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo!

Marni

Heidi said...

Wow! You did such a great job!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Laura - You did a fantastic job! Love the fabric....I so need this update. Hope you have a wonderful weekend ~ Stephanie lynn

Michelle {Daydream Believers} said...

Nice job! I love the modern style of the new fabric! :)

Anonymous said...

This is seriously amazing! How adorable. I love it!!

Http://www.justbeckause.blogspot.com

April said...

I love this! I had a very similar high chair that I kept meaning to recover but never got around to it and now the kiddos are to big for a high chair. Yoursis so pretty! Damask is my favorite! I would love for you to link up to my Sew Crafty Party and Giveaway.

http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2011/01/agape-love-boutique-giveaway-sew-crafty.html

AllieMakes! said...

Just swinging back to tell you I'm featuring this as one of the Making It With Allie Features this week! Come on by and grab a button!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

This is so wonderful... I love this idea... no need to go out and buy a new one!!!

Clisty said...

You are fabulous and so is this cover!! I wish I had a friend like you!! ;) This makes me want to recover mine too! I'm not sure I'm that brave, but we'll see. I'm now following you, if you get a chance come and check me out.
http://www.ruralgrace.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing!! I am now pouring through all your posts!

Kathy said...

I cant believe how BEAUTIFUL this is!! I am sooo impressed! My sons highchair is coverless. Poor little guy sits on the hard plastic and its not very pretty to look at either. WIsh I were half as handy as you

mag said...

Hi my friend Rebecca (your old roommate) suggested I pop by your blog and ask you this - anychance you;d recover my highchair? It's a fisherprice easy fold and I live in Calgary. I do sew myself but this is a bit to difficult for me. If you are interested let me know - michellealana at gmail.com

Kate Furner said...

I just found your bog when searching for how to recover a high chair. Our neighbors sat one out on the curb the night before I was going to borrow one from a friend for my niece.

Anyways, the high chair doesn't have a harness on it, and I was wondering if you could email me how you made your harness?

my email is thefurners0704@yahoo.com

Jika Battler said...

Oh my!! Fabulous job. I just bought a 2nd hand seat exactly like this one for my son. As I type its sitting in the boot of the car. Was searching for a tutorial to fix mine up and this is perfect. Thank-you.

Jika Battler said...

Oh my!! Fabulous job. I just bought a 2nd hand seat exactly like this one for my son. As I type its sitting in the boot of the car. Was searching for a tutorial to fix mine up and this is perfect. Thank-you.

Alicja said...

Excellent result! I was wondering whether you used the original as a sample to make the new one, or did you actually just recover the original one? I must do this... buying a new cover is way too expensive for what it is and the company doesn't even ship to Canada! So, I must make my own as well. Any tips on how you made it would be most welcome!

Inga Cotter said...

I found this blog post and thought it was a great idea. The blogger is trying to make an old high chair new again by re-covering it with a fun pattern. This is a great example of how I could use this idea in my own home. more: cover chairs for party

james cristine said...

Organized content is the best way to display or post an article, thank you for making it easy to digest your post.

power lift recliners Calgary