Here is the before. I don't understand why all baby items must be so cutesy.
I was surprised at just how nervous I was to work on this project, I've done a ton of re-covering but when it came time to cut I was really hesitant. Most of that came from this project having very unique challenges, mostly being I couldn't use any pins (I'd make holes in the vinyl) and I couldn't iron anything (melting!). I solved the pins by using binder clips and tape and just did without the iron.
I started like usual by taking the old cover apart. I wasn't willing to unpick all the button holes (where the straps go) so I cut around them. Even though the old cover looks like it's three different pieces it was really just one that was painted. Since I wanted to use solid black with the damask I had to do some careful piecing and that part worked even better than I'd hoped. I also hadn't bought a long enough piece of the damask vinyl (I thought it was two) so I pieced it together lining up the pattern, I'm pretty pleased with how well it lined up and unless you look really close you can't even see where my seam is.
I added thick piping to the top (I had to make my own because both fabric stores I went to were out) and I put bias tape all the way around. I hadn't planned on replacing the straps so I put them back on and it looked like this (except I'd already taken one back off in this picture).
I figured since there was navy blue on the frame I'd leave the navy blue straps to tie the two together but they looked awful! The cover was classy and sleek and then you had these ugly blue straps. I zipped off the Fabricland, bought new black strapping and replaced them. If I'd had a larger selection of vinyl I would have chosen something to co-ordinate with the blue but with very limited options the plastic on the frame will just have to be ignored.
Here's what the back of the cover looked before
I managed to hit some good sales so this entire project ended up costing $11. Not too shabby for a piece of furniture that can now be displayed in her kitchen with pride. Doesn't hurt that the high chair was second hand to begin with (I think it was even free).
One more before and after
It seems this is just like the strollers I cover, looking at the finished project I think, "well that wasn't too tough" but I distinctly remember hating lots of parts of this process. The end justifies the means though and I'd do another in a heartbeat.
Sorry there isn't a real tutorial for this but being my first time I certainly wasn't ready to teach others. I am more than happy to answer questions if you have them though.
Don't forget to check out my New Food Friday linky where we try out new recipes together.