It's time for Catie to be in a forward facing car seat so I picked up the one that Mom had saved for me from my nephew. It was functional, it does what it should it was just so ugly, and well used (dirty). I gave it a major face lift and it's like I have a brand new car seat.
This is the project I made the bias tape for, the sad part is now that it's finished I think a solid black would have looked even better. I'm certainly not changing it though.
Here's what I started with.
It has these flaps that fold over the armrests and they were attached with the most useless elastics. The fabric ALWAYS sat like this, in stead of the above. I figured now was the time to make improvements.
I took the thing apart, cut out new pieces and put it back together. I made the armrests longer and then sewed velco to the underside on the end. Using sticky back velco I attached the other side underneath the plastic so the fabric is held nice and snug, like so.
Now the fabric is pulled nice and tight.
I also made seat belt covers because they rub on Catie neck, she got an ugly red mark on her neck one day. I used Make It And Love It's tutorial for the covers. Basically you make up two little pot holders and add velcro.
Here's one more before and after
**Disclaimer, I know some people don't support messing around with car seats. I get it, you have valid points but I'm confident in the safety of my car seat. Let's leave it at that. **
Thanks so much for featuring me!