Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Make-up Routine

I thought to go along with my Make-Up Magnet Board from yesterday I'd show you some of my favourite products and my beauty routine.  Now keep in mind that I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm by no means an expert, this is just what I do, right or wrong.

Here's a before, fresh from the shower and what I'll finish with.


I always start with my eyes and I first curl my lashes.  I do them first because I have leaky eyes and curling often makes them water.  If I wait until everything is finished than my leaky eyes smudge the finished product.  Once I've curled I apply an eye shadow primer.  

Now a word on primers... I've only been using them for a couple weeks now.  I borrowed one from my friend Michelle but I was extremely skeptical that I'd see any difference, I thought that they would do nothing and were just a cosmetic cash grab but I could not have been more wrong.  In my opinion a primer does a few things, it makes your shadow last a lot longer without creasing; it also makes it go on a lot smoother, you can't see any brush strokes and it's much easier to blend multiple colours.  I think it makes it possible to use some cheaper shadows and make them more useable.  I also love the shimmer primer to amp up any sparkle in your shadow.  If I couldn't put on a primer I probably wouldn't use shadow because I don't see the point anymore.  I have two eyeshadow primers, both by MAC.  One in Painterly and one in Bare Study.  If you don't own one you should get one.


Today I used the shimmery Bare Study and once I've primed I shadow.  I used these ones today but not all of them, really.


I started with the L'Oreal H.I.P. in Flare and used the orangey colour over my lid from the centre to the outer corner.  These H.I.P. shadows are super pigmented and awesome, I have two different combos and I love them both.  I then applied MAC Motif from the inside corner of my eye to the centre.  I used a little MAC Whistle in the centre to blend them together. I then used my Wet n Wild Vanity pallett to highlight my brow bown using the matte cream colour on the bottom left.


To apply those colours I used my Mini Mop paint brush from Michaels.  It's made for painting but the bristles are all natural and the same quality of MAC brushes for much cheaper.


Once my shadow is on I apply my liner.  I recently started using Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black.  I apply with a brush to the top and the bottom.  I love this liner though once it's on it's really on and you need a good remover to take it off at the end of the day.  It looks like a liquid liner but you have much more control.
With my liner on I applied a little orange HIP to the corner of my bottom lid and a little of the MAC Whisper beside that.


Time for mascara and I'm pretty sure people think I'm crazy when they know I use two mascaras.  I couldn't get the look I wanted with just one though.  I want my top lashes to be super long, thick and as black as I can get, the Colossal Volume Express by Maybelline in Glam Black does a great job of that but I thought it looked spidery and awful on my bottom lashes.  They're already really long so instead I want something to thicken and be not as dramatic on the bottom so I use Great Lash in Brownish Black.  It does exactly what I want it too and is applying two mascaras really any more time consuming than one? (it's not)


My eyes are now done so I put on a little concealer under my eyes and on any blemishes (I ususally do this step before I put on my bottom mascara).  Then I apply foundation with a sponge.


I put the Hard Candy Hula Hula bronzer on my cheek bones and anywhere the sun would hit (like my nose, chin and forehead).  Then I add blush to the apples of my cheek.  I use the really big brush to wipe under my cheekbones and get rid of any fallout, this helps create definition too.


So that's it.  While it sounds like a lot it really only takes 15 ish minutes depending on how much I focus on my eyes.  And my Make-up board makes finding all the different shades a snap.  I also slapped on some Bath & Body Works Liplisious gloss in Raspberry Jam, I'll re-apply that throughout the day. Here's a photo re-cap of everything I used, though tomorrow I'll do something completely different on my eyes.


Here's a photo of my lids (boy these photos are tough to take)


And here's one more after, ready for the day.


(yes, the grey streak is natural)

10 comments:

Amy said...

How fun! I'm obsessed with playing up my eyes, but have never used primer. I will have to pick some up. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

A good tip for saving money on primer:
Mix equal parts liquid concealer, liquid foundation and scent-free lotion. Equal parts being like half a tsp of each... And that will last a looong time since all you need is the smallest bit each time you use it. I use an old, washed, lip balm container to store it. It's awesome.

Trina said...

I think your grey streak is awesome :)

I love the Mac Paint Pots and I also use Urban Decay's Primer Potion. Both are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Where in the world do you find Mac Paintpots for $9.90?!! I need to know where! :) Love your makeup choices. Mine are similar - a small mix of higher end to play up my mostly drugstore brands.

skcoody said...

I love your look and the choice of colors. Have you ever considered getting your eyebrows professionally shaped and using a little bit of pencil on them? I think it would really add to what you've got going on.

Cynthia said...

I love the double mascara trick... genius... just this morning I was putting mascara on my bottom lashes and thinking that they were too defined to where it was "spidery" just like you said. I have to try this. I also love the liner gel stuff.... I am trying this too. Thanks for the tips. They were perfect for me because I have a very similar makeup routine :)

Caris Severn said...

Your eye makeup is especially great with that slight shimmer - very nice! And I love your makeup board idea - very clever and handy. I've never tried primer or eyeliner gel, but your eyes are gorgeous; I'll have to do this! Thanks!

Caris Severn said...

Your eye makeup is especially great with that slight shimmer - very nice! And I love your makeup board idea - very clever and handy. I've never tried primer or eyeliner gel, but your eyes are gorgeous; I'll have to do this! Thanks!

Tiffany said...

Love the mascara idea.

emily anne said...

LOVE the makeup board! I'm going to make one as soon as I can!!! :)

I'm a huge fan of primer and LOVE it for everything. I use Arbonne, recently voted #1 primer by beauty.com! It is great for eyes, face and lips. Best thing is its ingredients...all botanically based, nothing unhealthy!

Write me back if you want to know how to get it. :)