Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Jewelery Holder

I've been wanting one of these for quite some time now but I kept waiting for the perfect frame.  Something like my Make-up Magnet Board but I think that was just a lucky find because I kept coming up empty handed.  I finally settled on just a frame.  Despite the plain frame I love it, and it's super useful and was a cinch to make.


I'm sure you can see exactly how it was made but I'll give a little tutorial anyway, starting with my supplies.

For the wire I used this Welded Hardware Mesh, it was exactly what I wanted except I had to buy a big roll.  If you live close to me and want a Jewellery Holder you should let me know, I'd be happy to help you out with Mesh for real cheap.


I picked up the paint at Michael's at 2 for $1.00.  The purple wasn't quite what I wanted so I added some black and it was just the right shade.
To hang necklaces I used these little "S" hooks I got from Lowes.

So once you have all your supplies, remove the glass and the picture from the frame.  They were held in with staples so I pulled those out two.  Then I nailed a hook to the back of the frame.

I lightly sanded the frame and then painted it with three coats.
Using the original picture as a template I traced around it on the mesh and cut it out with tin snips.  I flattened it as best as possible and then my lovely husband stapled it in place of the picture.
That was really all there was too it.  Here are a couple more photos and one last point, no judging the amount of earrings I own, in the last three years I've purchased two of them, the rest are just really old.



And a picture of what this looks like hung on the wall.


And one last plug, if you need mesh you just let me know.



Linking To Monday - C.R.A.F.T., Making The World Cuter, Polly Want a Crafter, Simpsonized Crafts, Sugar Bee Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, The Girl Creative   Tuesday - All Things Related, Creative Itch, Domestically Speaking, It's Sew for YouLadybug BlessingsSassy Sites, Today's Creative Blog, This & That, Topsy Turvy    Wednesday - Blue Cricket Design, Me and My Bucket   Thursday - A Glimpse Inside House of Hepworth, It's Sew Stinkin Cute, Somewhat Simple, The Train to Crazy, What Allie's Making Now   Friday - Creation Corner, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots & Jello, The CrEaTiVe CraTe

27 comments:

madison avenue said...

that is cute! i love the color!

KateY said...

Any ideas for studs? Smaller "netting"?

Melinda said...

This is just what I have been looking for!!!!!!
What is behind the mesh for a backing?

Melinda

Laura said...

There's nothing behind the mesh. It's stapled to the frame with nothing behind it.

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

Looks fantastic! And it looks like it works well for you as well! Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party!

Chef in Training said...

WOW! amazing job! It is so cute! I happened to stumble across your blog through a link party and I LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out mine and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

kali said...

It's adorable! I was wondering if I could buy some mesh from you and you mail it to me? I'm not sure where you're from, but I've been looking for something like this to make for a while. I've never seen this mesh stuff anywhere - let me know at kalizoomba@hotmail.com

Laura said...

Where do you live Kali?

AllieMakes! said...

Great job! We LOVE these around here too!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Mindie Hilton said...

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

Come strut your stuff.

Unknown said...

This is really wonderful. I can't believe the make up board idea, it is just genius. Then you wow me again with this! I'm totally going to make this happen for myself! And I think I solved the stud problem. if you get a piece of fabric and treat it with a stiffening agent, it can just tie on, almost like a bookmark, or a tag. Thankfully, I don't have too too many of those! Anyway, thank you so much for the inspiration.

Maya said...

Did you consider spray painting the mesh as well? Thinking of doing this, green frame and painting the mesh a dark black.

Jovanna said...

Brings back memories of my parents! My dad made my mom something similar to this, he used screen that you use for screen doors for the earrings (my mom has a zillion) and she is able to put her posts on it and french hooks. The thing hanged on the wall, the wires were placed on that, and he created a second panel so you can put the back on posts on it. It closed up like a jewelry amoire. This was on one side of a huge mirror. The other side had hooks for her necklaces and he had a cover for it too. Good job!

Anonymous said...

wow i love this ! you want to make me try these too !

http://typefashion.wordpress.com/

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I've seen those done with lace as well...

:) Hope you do great at your sale tomorrow!

Unknown said...

my mother-in-law has one similar to this but hers has little hooks attached to the bottom of the frame to hang necklaces... I love both ways they both look awesome

Anonymous said...

Can you say... Christmas presents.... Ahhhh this is awesome!!!

The Raven said...

So adorable, Laura! I make jewelry, and I have been looking for something to hang all of the pieces that look better hanging at craft shows. Displays are SO expensive. This is cute, crafty, and original. Thank you for sharing!! :-)

Siobhan Landis said...

Cool idea (my daughter has crazy amounts of jewelry, and no good way to store it all, so it just lies around on any flat surface - this would be perfect.

I AM thinking that Melinda makes a good point, though - a backing behind the mesh (besides being pretty) would protect the wall behind from getting scratched every time a piece of jewelry was moved. Something the jewelry won't catch one. Maybe another metal sheet like the one you used for the make-up magnet board (another fantastic idea, by the way).

Smreid11 said...

My friend make something like this for me one year. She used a something like a shadow box and replaced the class with mesh for dangle earrings and then i just open the door and stick my studs in the back! She also added hooks to the bottom for necklaces. Just some different variations for everyone!

Mrs. Wayfairer said...

I used your idea for my jewelry, and for the stud earrings...my husband made a smaller frame, inserted screening, and mounted it on the side of the original with a piano hinge. that way I have access to both sides...I insert the stud, and place the back on it. Nice!

Katie B said...

I'm dying to make this- any chance you live close to Harrisburg, PA? I would love to buy the mesh from you.

Unknown said...

I think you would be able to use a rag rug plastic netting for this project. then spray paint. but myself, the metallic mesh looks gorgeous on this!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I made this today and it turned out awesome. The only difference was I put fabric behind the mesh. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Unknown said...

It looks fantastic! And it looks like it works well for you as well!
regards
High End Jewelery Miami

Leonardi linken said...

this is very informative and interesting for those who are interested in blogging field.
Find here link to the Best Online Alarm Clock Websites To Set Alarm