I think I was successful.
The pillows started out like this. You can see that there are four from a couch and two others that she had hanging around.
I started with the couch pillows, sliced open the fabric and groaned, already dreading where I was going to go from her since inside I didn't find a pillow form but a messy semi square of old batting.
I knew I'd need to first cover the batting so I got some broadcloth. I made a large rectangle (the size of the pillow only twice as long), folded it in half and sewed up the two sides. I flipped the now square fabric inside out, inserted the batting and sewed the third side shut. To prevent fraying I used my pinking shears on the one exposed seam and called them good.
These covers were crazy quick and made a huge difference when inserting into the final pillow cover.
Next up was the piping. Let me tell you something, I HATE making piping. I really wanted to just buy some but I couldn't find any pre-made that matched and I did need 12 meters. I found some green fabric that matched perfectly and was really cheap, I used 1/2 a meter and had a little left. While I love the way the piping turned out it was easily the worst part of this project, took longer than I wanted and I was annoyed the entire time.
Once I made the piping I made covers using the new fabric, I hand stitched the opening closed and ended up with some really great looking pillows. I took a lot of care joining my piping and I was really pleased with how it turned out, I think it's the best I've done. Look at that beautiful join.
One last after photo, a huge improvement and they'll look great on her patio furniture.