Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Yum!

I haven't talked about any sort of food on the blog for a while but we had such an amazing dinner last night it's all I can think about.

A couple months ago, in the summer, I had these amazing pulled pork tacos and it created a desire for more delicious pork so I bought a roast, threw it in the slow cooker with some store bought sauce.  When it was done I shredded it and piled it on yummy buns.  It tasted just how it's described, like pork with some store bought sauce thrown on it, nothing special and I was unsatisfied.  The taste was very generic and it could easily have been beef.  Luckily since it had been a big roast I'd only cooked half, meaning I still had another to try again and I was determined to have better results.

This time I scouted out some recipes and found one that included a spice rub, some searing and a homemade sauce.  I figured if I was going to do this I'd do it right so I'd also make a homemade coleslaw to go with it.  I had serious doubts about the coleslaw, the main ingredients where cider vinegar and mustard and we're not huge fans of either but I thought it would go well with the pork rub and sauce so I made it anyway thinking it contained only cheap ingredients and we could toss it if we hated it.

So I rubbed, seared and cooked.  I chopped, whisked and stirred.  We were pretty unsure about the slaw but I didn't want to go halfway so I loaded our buns with lots of yummy pork and topped it generously with the slaw.  What an incredible meal!  The mustard and vinegar were a perfect compliment to the slightly sweet pork and we raved numerous times throughout the meal.  Today's lunch of leftovers was just as good.

My only complaint is that the pork really didn't shred well, I ended up cutting it instead.  The recipe called for cooking in the oven, next time I'd use the slow cooker.

Have I made you hungry yet?  Make your own, it was worth it!
L

1 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds amazing!! We need to get together and talk cooking or heck, even make a fabulous meal.