Friday, May 28, 2010

Double Stoller Re-cover

Posting has been a little light this week and will probably continue to be for the next little bit.  I have a bunch of projects planned but they were all put aside as I worked furiously, obsessively, painstakingly on Michelle's stroller trying to get it done in time for her to take it home.



Michelle is in Edmonton for the summer and hating her stroller so when she decided to come home for a couple days we figured we could fix it for her.  The original plan was to have lots of time and work on it together but the modified plan involved much, much less time and me on my own.  Overall the project was a success but I have learned that I won't take on any more time sensitive jobs, it takes most of the fun out it.  These before and after pictures just might make all the difficulties worth it.  I was incredibly grateful that I had practiced on my stroller first.

The before



The peach was especially hateful and I feel you can't quite grasp the ugliness of the alphabet print from this far back so here's a close up.  This picture shows the alphabet and the plaid that you can see at the top of both seats.



I was asked for pics while I was working on the last stroller but I hadn't taken any and figured this time I would but I only managed to take one, there just wasn't time for any others.  So here it is, this is one of the sunshades all carefully taken apart.  From here I used the pieces I was replacing as a pattern to cut out my new fabric.  I then re-assembled the pieces and used the original trim to finish the edges.



The more I review the pictures the more the late nights seem worth it.  The $6.00 seam ripper made a world of difference.


As usual this re-do is far from perfect and we may need to do a little touch up when she's back but it's so far ahead of where it was that she was thrilled and I'm confidant I could tackle another.  Here's one last photo to showcase the pretty new fabric.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Looks great again. Too bad I already love my double stroller (in a nice black/grey colour). Your recovers look SO COOL! You should charge people for it.

Sharon@thisthriftyhouse said...

Wow Laura! I love it! You are seriously one talented lady! And I KNOW Michelle will be thrilled!!

Mitz said...

That mess is just ONE sunshade!? Oh Laura I don't even know half the trouble you went through to do this for me. YOU ARE THE BEST and I do LOVE it! Thank you!

Irish'n'Karley Lilburn said...

Wow! You have skill! It looks amazing!! Crazy what new fabric will do to something hey?!
-Michelle's friend

Kara Henry said...

Wow, that is amazing! You have guts to tackle something like that like! Turned out darling!

Thanks for linking up at Craftastical!

Robin Ange said...

Great way to recycle (or upcycle as I like to call it.) I love it and would love to see you post this at my linky party Upcycled Awesome!
http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled8

Robin Ange said...

Thank you so much for linking up to www.thetshirtdiaries.com. I am having a Stash-Busting September party. Check the blog for details soon...

Julie said...

Great job. Looks a hundred times better!

Unknown said...

Wow - I just bought a double stroller that looks like this one except it's yellow & blue plaid. Very comfortable but starting to get a little worn. I'd love to be able to recover it - and at one time I would of had the nerve to tackle it - but now. I just don't sew as well as I used to.

Your strollers are beautiful! Don't suppose you wouldn't like to come to cooler than normal Nebraska and fix mine? =D

Unknown said...

How did you get the back seat cushion off? I have it stuck around the foot rest and can't figure it out!

maggie_campbell88 said...

There are a bunch of screws you need to undo. I just took mine apart to clean it. Just be sure to put all the screws back in the holes so tou can be sure you get each piece back in when you put together again