Thursday, June 10, 2010

Magnet Board Update

I made this magnet board years ago with my Mom at a Super Saturday and it's really useful and I always thought it looked just fine until I saw a beautiful fabric covered one.  This project quickly went on my to-do list and I finally got around to working on it.



I hit up the Fabric Addict (my favorite store) with every intention of finding something red to go inside the frame but instead the purple jumped out at me.  I love the pattern and I love the color, not sure how well it fits in my dining room but I decided I didn't care.

This was a really easy project.  I took apart the magnet board and used the sheet metal as my fabric guide.  Since my fabric was directional and needed to go on straight I traced around the metal with a sharpie to help me stick it down property once I'd sprayed it.  I'd bought just enough fabric so I only had to cut one side.  I then used spray adhesive on both the fabric and the metal and then I stuck them together, wrapping quickly around the back before my spray dried.  There were a couple spots on the back that didn't stay stuck very well but since it gets put back in the frame it didn't matter.  I closed it all back up, put my magnets back on and called it done.

I love the new look.

Before


After

Looking at these pictures makes me think perhaps it's time to re-paint my frame, it's looking a little rough.  Some other day.

8 comments:

Mitz said...

I WANT TO COME HOME AND DO PROJECTS WITH YOU! (Yes, I'm yelling!)

Laura said...

Just wait until you see my next one. I need a few more days before I can post it.

Maya said...

Love your make up board idea. I am a Mary Kay consultant. I LOVE make up and am always looking for fresh ideas to organize and display it. I was searching for magnetic boards and came across your site. Thank you.

Amy said...

This is a great idea. My daughter is getting into the make up stage soon. I am redoing her room to more pre teen. This is a great idea I can use for her room. We will be making it Organge. I am your newest follower via GFC.

Ms. Doerksen said...

I am making a magnetic scrabble board for my partner's sister's Christmas present this year- putting magnets on the back of the scrabble letters and finding a nice frame to go around it.
I just have a question about the metal itself- I thought I would have to buy an actual magnetic board. Did you just use a scrap piece of metal? Also, was it expensive to get cut? Where could I go, Home Depot?

Laura said...

I've bought mine at both Totem and Home Depot. I think it's used for duckting but I'm not sure, just take a magnet with you to make sure it's magnet but I haven't had a problem with that.

At Totem the guy cut it for me but he didn't charge me anything, I think it was just a nice guy. He just put on gloves and tin snips and did it for me, I think you'd just have to get the right sales person.

Saramather said...

This might be a silly question but do you leave the glass and picture in it from the original frame? Or do you only insert the metal? Or insert the letal over the glass?

Unknown said...

I love the magnet board i am making one today.....great idea......