Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Faux Chenille Blanket - Take Two

The entire time I was sewing the bassinet I couldn't stop thinking about how much I wanted to add a Faux Chenille Blanket.  I wanted it to be cozy and snugly and sweet and I thought it would add the perfect finishing touch.

I made my first one of these blankets about a week ago and I knew as soon as I was finished that I would be making another.  I made a few changes to this blanket though and I think they're good tips so I wanted to pass them on.  My first blanket looked like this, and you can find the tutorial to make your own over at Made.

For my new blanket I chose a fabric that matched the bassinet, it was the same pattern just a different colour.  The fabric is called Picadilly and it's by Pamela Mostek.  For the chenille I used 3 layers of chocolate brown flannel.  The biggest change I made was in the cutting, I felt like with my first blanket I wished I hadn't cut through all the layers, I wished I'd left one uncut.  By leaving one you wouldn't be able to see the back of the patterned fabric but you'd see the one colour left uncut.  For the layering I started with the Green/Gold Picadilly, then I layered some broadcloth and then 3 layers of flannel.  I used broadcloth because it's a lot cheaper.  The only downside to using the broadcloth layer is that it's really thin, I wasn't always careful enough and I ended up cutting through it in a couple places.  I'll still use it in my next blanket I'll just be more careful next time.



I love how this blanket looks with the flannel all the same colour and it's perfect for the bassinet.  I'm already starting to think about my next blanket.

One last thought... I walked through Fabricland the other day and I saw some real chenille, I had the though, "Why make faux chenille?  Real chenille really isn't all that expensive".


Linking To
Monday - C.R.A.F.T., Making The World Cuter, Polly Want a Crafter, Simpsonized Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, The Girl Creative   Tuesday - All Things Related, Creative Itch, Domestically Speaking, Ladybug BlessingsSassy Sites, Today's Creative Blog, This & That, Topsy Turvy    Wednesday - Blue Cricket Design, Me and My Bucket   Thursday - A Glimpse Inside House of Hepworth, It's Sew Stinkin Cute, Somewhat Simple, The Train to Crazy, What Allie's Making Now   Friday - Creation Corner, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots & Jello

14 comments:

Emily said...

Love the blanket! : )

Cheri said...

Just gorgeous!!! I am a huge fan of anything purple - too bad I never had a daughter, it might have gotten ridiculous around here. lol New follower to your blog!

chris said...

Your blankets turned out beautifully. My mama made two of my kiddos chennille blankets several years ago. They are my favorites. She also left a layer showing through the top, and I like seeing that fabric show through.

AllieMakes! said...

SO lovely! BEautiful!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

Beautiful blankets! Thanks for linking this up as well.

Lisa Cash said...

Stopping by from Just A Girl. Your blanket is SOOOO cute!

kim west said...

way way way cute. i too had to follow made and make a cute blanket..the whole time thinking this BITES!!!! and now I'm itching to make more....

and yes..the real chenille is cute..but nothing beats ALL THAT HARD WORK!

and I agree with leaving one layer uncut for the backing! the layers of brown are tooooooo cute!

Laura said...

Kim, I saw your quilt when you posted it a while ago and I loved it. The fabric choice was great and the monogram was a great idea.

Luxy Living said...

Beautiful blankets! We love to sew blankets as well.

luxyliving.blogspot.com

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

OMG!! I've seen Faux Chenille pillows but not a blanket. That is amazing.
Don't forget to join me for More The Merrier Monday and link up all of your great projects.


http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

So pretty! LOVE the brown! Would love you to link up to Made With Love. My readers will adore this! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

KimMalk said...

The bassinet and your new blanket are just stunning. Wow, Laura, making your own chenille is really ambitious.

annies home said...

how sweet love that beautiful purple color

Bohemia Design said...

I was totally inspired by this post and got started right away on my blanket. I think it turned out really cute but I am aweful at sewing on the bias tape on the edge. Yours looks so perfect and mine.... not so. On the top it looks good but underneath I can't match up the seams. Do you have any advice or tips. Would greatly appreciate since I have already gone out and bought more fabric for a second blanket for my brother's baby.