Monday, February 21, 2011

Baby Bassinet

My friend Jody contacted me with a project, she has a new little girl on the way and a really ugly bassinet to put her in.  She wondered if I could do something about that.

It started like this, very navy, quilted and ruffled.  There was a ton of fabric and teddy bears everywhere.

I replaced the ruffles with clean, crisp pleats, got rid of the teddy bears and updated the colour.

I made a satin mattress cover, I've heard it helps with babies bald spots and it makes the entire thing look luxurious.

This also happens to be the project that was more frustrating than any other.  I took the original cover apart and used it as a pattern for the new pieces.  I got them all put back together and then tried to put it on the frame only to find that it was way too small.  My pieces were exactly the same size as the original, the original wasn't stretchy or cut on the bias but somehow mine still wouldn't fit.  I ended up having to replace some of my pieces and add about 5 inches.  I don't understand why the difference but in the end I made it work.

The change is huge, Jody is thrilled with it and it fits perfectly in the baby's room.


Linking To
Monday - C.R.A.F.T., Making The World Cuter, Polly Want a Crafter, Simpsonized Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, The Girl Creative   Tuesday - All Things Related, Creative Itch, Domestically Speaking, Ladybug BlessingsSassy Sites, Today's Creative Blog, This & That, Topsy Turvy    Wednesday - Blue Cricket Design, Me and My Bucket   Thursday - A Glimpse Inside House of Hepworth, It's Sew Stinkin Cute, Somewhat Simple, The Train to Crazy, What Allie's Making Now   Friday - Creation Corner, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots & Jello

16 comments:

Emily said...

I love it!! It looks wonderful!

Mitz said...

AMAZING work!! It's even better in person if you can believe it!

Humble Homemaker said...

So cute. great work! I am a new follower. :) Can't wait to see the rest of your projects!
Humble Homemaking

Mrs Males said...

I see you recover baby things a lot... would you be interested in taking on a new project??? A back baby carrier...

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

How adorable. I love the color. I'm your newest follower. Be sure to stop by my blog Monday and add your project to the More The Merrier Monday Link Party.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

AllieMakes! said...

Lovely! Love the purple! Fabulous job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

Beautiful job! It looks fabulous!
Thanks so much for linking up to my Catch a Glimpse party! Always nice to see a new face.

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

this is so awesome! I love that fabric!!!
We are having a linky party if you would like to join... http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-springtime.html

Allison Shops said...

Amazing transformation!
Dropping by from Met Monday, with a post on repurposed shelving.

Allison
Atticmag

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That's beautiful, Laura! I'm loving all your baby item fix-ups that I see on your sidebar. As a new grandma I appreciate making some of these things a bit prettier.

{Visiting from Met Monday}.

Unknown said...

You are creative & talented! Found you on MM at BNOTP. Just started my blog focusing on kids room designs and would love to include this in my gallery - email or comment me! ....and I'm going back to look at more things you've done!....

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I loved this and your other refurbished baby items too. Would be so flattered if you would share one of them on Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
Pam

http://becolorful.typepad.com

Ashlee Marie said...

wow wow wow!!! I'm not a purple person, but the work that went into this! And the pleating.. Just amazing! I'm featuring this on my Topsy Turvy Tuesday this week!

You don't number for number 3 Speedometer said...

The biggest the biggest the biggest the biggest Oso. Louis Netta

Unknown said...

What do you think about wooden bassinets?

Unknown said...

What do you think about wooden bassinets?