Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I'm Not Alone

I Hate Facebook!

I REFUSE to join, don't try and convince me!!!

It's a fad, that's all, I don't think it will last. I have a blog and email addresses, I'm good. I don't need more.

People always say, "I joined Facebook and reconnected with all these people I haven't talked to in years." If I haven't talked to them in years then I don't need to start now.

I feel very strongly about my hate of Facebook and it turns out I'm not alone!

Thanks to CATTY, I found this great article

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070330.facebook31/BNStory/Front/home

A quote to sum up my general feelings on Facebook

"Facebook brings back behaviour that went out with plaid shirts, Tuffs boots and Nirvana. From competing over who has the most friends to sending snide notes to “check out so-and-so's ‘friends,' ” it's Grade 11 all over again.

Facebook gives people the ability to maintain the high-school mentality,” says Tracy Cohen, a 28-year-old television producer in Toronto. “You judge others based on the number of friends they have, and the people who were nerds or losers in high school try to say to the cool high-school people, ‘Hey, look at me now!' ”


I don't need another invite to your Facebook page so that you look like you have more friends. I want real friends, not electronic friends.
L

7 comments:

Unknown said...

"It's a fad, that's all, I don't think it will last. I have a blog and email addresses, I'm good. I don't need more."

Of course it's a fad, of course it won't last. So is cotton candy, doesn't mean that it's not a good thing. "We have received the email and internet, and we need no more of this FaceBook, for we have enough!" 2Ne28:29 (some interpretation required)

Janine said...

Laura, you truly are not alone. Let me join in your facebook rant.

Kim Hawryluk said...

I don't use facebook because I want more friends or because it is a popularity contest...it is all my real friends and family members that I still associate with and speak to on a regular basis. I don't think it is a high school thing for me...it is just a way to drop a quick line and say hi. I don't hate it, but I know...it is a little silly since I have email and a blog too...and use google talk and on occassion MSN. :) Yeah...maybe with all that, I should just get out of it. It really is a lot! ha ha

Good luck with your passport today!

Anonymous said...

facebook is a good way of tracking down people i haven't talked to in years. so far it's worked for me. i've never looked at how many friends anyone has or how many friends i have, i've never heard of anyone doing that. i think this article was written by someone who didn't try facebook before reviewing facebook.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who truly thinks that Facebook perpetuates some sort of "High-School Mentality" needs to give up their own High-School Mentality.

That article is totally bogus.

Michelle said...

Laura, I have been seriously addicted to facebook and have been looking for you on it. This would explain why you arn't on it. Congrats on your engagement and up comming wedding.
Michelle(Bevers) Morton

PS wow it has been a long time since i saw bevers at the end of my name

Laura said...

Good to hear from you Michelle, email me your address and I'll send you an invitation :)
westlaur@gmail.com