Friday, January 14, 2011

New Food Friday - Chicken Pot Pie

Okay, you've had your week to choose and make a new recipe, here's hoping I'm not the only one interested in the challenge.

This week I made a chicken pot pie.  I'm a little surprised that I haven't ever made one before and now I think it's a shame that it took me so long.  This recipe was delicious, one of those classics that I won't ever need a recipe for again.  The only change I made was leaving out the mushrooms since I hate them.  This was a real keeper that I'll make again and again, we felt so satisfied after the meal and the leftovers were just as delicious.  I think it would be super yummy with mashed potatoes on top instead of pastry some time.

 I hate mushy peas and I was really worried these ones would be overcooked but they were yummy.  The recipe says you may have to cover your pastry with foil to prevent over browning, I pulled my pie out 15 minutes early, covered it and put it back in because it was starting to brown too quickly.  I really appreciated that tip.
My version certainly didn't look as pretty as the one in the picture and for some reason my pastry did not turn out well but it was still tasty, just ignore the goo seeping on top (it was such delicious goo).

Chicken Pot Pie
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
3 cups chicken brother (I made my own from a store bought cooked chicken)
2 carrots, chopped in small pieces
2 celery stalks, chopped in small pieces
2 potatoes, cubed in small pieces
3 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup peas
3 cups cooked & diced chicken (I used the meat from the store bought chicken)
Pastry to cover 3-qt (3L) casserole or frozen puff pastry dough (I made my own even though it was not great)

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.  blend in flour, salt, pepper and onion.  Gradually stir in chicken brother.  Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.  Add carrots, celery and potatoes.  Cook until fork tender.  In a small frying pan, cook the mushrooms in butter.  Add mushrooms, peas and chicken to vegetable mixture.  Mix well and pour into large casserole.  Cover with rolled pastry and slash to allow steam to escape.  Bake in preheated 400F oven for about 45 minutes, or until pastry is golden.  If pastry becomes too brown, cover loosely with foil.



Now it's your turn, what new recipe did you cook?  Would you make it again?  What changes would you make and I'd love to see a picture.

2 comments:

Jumping Jack said...

That sounds soo good! I don't think I've ever made a chicken pot pie either. I might have to put that on our menu for next week!

have a great weekend!

Jolayne said...

I promise I'm going to participate next week, so keep doing this! I just didn't cook anything new last week, but I have one on the list for this week.