Friday, January 21, 2011

New Food Friday - Roadhouse Pizza

Two weeks ago I issued a challenge to spice up your menu, cook a new recipe and share it here... sadly it seems I'm the only one interested.  Whether you join me or not I'm going to continue with the new recipes so I may as well blog about them.  I'll continue with my sad little linky parties just in case someone decides to join but if no one does it's okay, I'll carry on anyway.

We love pizza in our house, whether it's homemade or take out we love it all so I make it fairly often.  This week I decided to re-create a pizza we like to order out, it's called the Roadhouse and it's from Two Guys and a Pizza Place.  I also tried a new crust recipe, the one I used in the past is not great but it's probably the 1st and only dough recipe I used.  I figured it was time for a new one.



Roadhouse Pizza

Pizza Crust
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
3. Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about 1 hour. Punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out. Use for your favorite pizza recipe.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a pan, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it.
5. Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.


For our toppings I started with a sauce of Ranch dressing.  Then I added cooked, sliced chicken breast, red pepper, bacon and cheese.


This pizza was delicious and very close to the take out we order.  I wish the crust had been a little crispier but I probably could have cooked it slightly longer.  I also needed to use more dressing and more cheese.  I think in our house we tend to over due it with the cheese so I was trying to cut back and I got a little carried away, a tiny bit more would have been nice.


I'm calling this recipe a success and we'll probably make it again.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm my mouth is now watering.... by the way Al knows what 2 guys and a pizza place puts in their crust, I can't remember.... but I will definitely try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!!!!