Monday, August 19, 2013

Favourite Things Party

I put off posting about this because I didn't take any pictures meaning this will be wordy but it was so much fun that you're getting it anyway.

For at least a year I wanted to throw a favourite things party and when we moved into my in-laws amazing house the time was right... and then 8 months went by.

I really wanted this to be a special party and a Facebook invite just wouldn't cut it so I printed these invites and mailed them.  When was the last time you got an invite in the mail?  I loved that it was a little different.

Let's talk about the design of this invitation though... I've already mentioned that I'm great at re-creating someone else's work and surprise surprise... that's what happened here too.  I found this great invite on Pinterest and recreated it.

And that is the last picture I have.  Sad isn't it.

Well June 6th was coming closer and like 3 people were coming.  3 people who didn't really know each other... so I moved the date forward a week with far more success.  In the end about 10 people came... a perfect party number.

For food I made my favourite, chicken taco salad only I put it in cute little tortilla scoops.  I also made red velvet cupcakes in a jar.  People brought some of their favourite foods and we enjoyed them all.

We ate and visited and then we got to the best part, the exchange.  When people arrived I had them write their name down on 5 slips of paper and we put them in a jar.  Each person pulled out 5 slips and gave away their favourite items to those 5.  If the same name was pulled twice we just put it back and pulled a new one.  Now would be a great place to show a picture of all the great things people brought but I have nothing.  Instead I'll just have to tell you.

To make this look more interesting I found some online photos to make up a collage
A. A Starbucks gift card with the girls favourite drink written on it
B. Bath & Body Lip gloss & some lotion (Sorry, I forgot the lotion)
C. Some body spray
D. Dental Picks - A note on this item.  This is one of the 5 that I got and it has changed my oral health!  Since getting these I floss twice daily.
E. A power bar.  Now these are not the right brand and I'm sure the girl who brought them will be sad that I don't have the right brand because she says they are the best.  Sorry Lisa, I can't remember the right brand.
F. Exfoliating facial scrub - Again, another item I won and I'm loving it.
G & H. Gel Eyeliner & Brush - This is what I gave, I love gel liner.  If you haven't tried it don't be intimidated, give it a try.
I. Pretty Wrapping Paper - I thought this was such a great unique item.  This girl said she loves pretty wrapping paper and had tons of them, loved it.

I'm sure there is an item or two that I forgot but it's been quite some time, I was impressed I remembered so many of them :)

I also planned one little fun surprise.  Before I handed over the bowl I added one slip that said SURPRISE!  When the lucky lady pulled it out I retrieved the bag I`d assembled of my favourite things.

A. Smoothie Cup - every day I drink a smoothie and I swear it tastes better in my smoothie cup
B. Bath & Body Works Foaming Soap - I love this stuff, I have it at every sink in my house in all different scents
C. Loreal HIP eye shadow in Wicked - I love love this eyeshadow, it's my absolute favourite
D. Pink pins - they make me happy when I sew
E. I couldn't find a bag of Big Feet so the Swedish Berries had to do, but they're a close second.
F. One of the best things I've ever made is my needle book.  I love how easy it is to find and organize them.  F is an inside view and I is an outside view.
G. Dairy Milk Salty Carmelized Peanuts - So yummy!  Our favourite candy bar
H. NYC Appelicious Glossy Lip Balm - Sorry, I can't remember what colour I gave away

So there you have it, my Favourite Things Party.  It was so much fun that I think I"ll need to host it yearly.  Now there is one thing I would do differently, the bag of my favourite things was so much fun I wish I'd split it up so more people could have been surprised.

You should host your own, awesome!


alygir said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

That's awesome! I totally want to do this now!!! The guests bring 5 of the same thing? Right?