Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Hospital Visit

I don't normally post on the weekend but we've had an eventful couple of days so I thought I'd talk a bit about that.

I've mentioned multiple times (I'm sure I talk about it too often) that Eden is a fussy baby.  She cries a lot and it's been a big challenge.  Often we'd feel like thing were getting better and then the next day she'd cry for an hour and there would be nothing we could do about it.  So like usual things were starting to seem better and then Tuesday was a really bad day.  She cried for an hour, fell asleep and then was fussy and miserable the rest of the day.  Normally one of these bad days is followed by a couple good ones so I was looking forward to a good day... she cried for two hours and was even more miserable.  At this point I was super frustrated and made another doctor's appointment for her but didn't think too much about it.

One good thing I can say about Eden is that once she's down for the night she's pretty good.  Nowhere near sleeping through the night but at least nights are okay.  So you can understand the frustration when it took way longer than it should of to get her to bed and then she woke an hour later.  Brad got up with her to feed her but after just a swallow or two she was immediately hysterical.  I got up to help since he had to work the next day and settled in to the couch, prepared to hold her until she tired herself out enough to fall asleep.  This cry was so different though, there had been no wind up, she was just immediately inconsolable.

Both Brad and I felt it was time to go the hospital.  I packed her up and headed to the ER, sure that they would laugh me away thinking I just had a baby that cried.   Everyone was super nice to me though and assured me that it was good that I came.  The resident took a good look at her and I think she was preparing to send me home with a Colic diagnosis but she brought the Doctor in who thankfully wasn't very happy with her cry.  She said that she didn't want to put her through unnecessary testing but she thought they should do some to be sure.  I immediately agreed, so relieved that they weren't sending me home with my crying baby.

They took her temperature (a rectal one) and put in an IV to draw some blood.  They then took a urine sample (through a cathetar).  When the nurse looked at the sample she showed it to the other nurse and said, "I think that looks cloudy, don't you?"  To which I replied, "Good!  Cloudy is bad right, it's means somethings wrong?  Excellent!"  I can't tell you how relieved I am that they found something.

I kept thinking she had a broken arm... they tape her arm to a padded board and then wrap a cloth around it, all so she won't bother the IV.

In the end they discovered that she has a urinary tract infection (or a bladder infection) which is great news because it's minor, and easy to fix.  For an adult they would send us home with antibiotics but because she's so little they'd need to treat her with IV for two days in the hospital.  There was no room for us at the Children's hospital so they transferred us to the Peter Laugheed where we spent the next two days hanging out.

Here we are at 4 in the morning waiting to be transferred.  I was very tired.

I suppose things get worse before they get better because the first night we were there she cried for 5 hours. 5 hours without a break and without any real sign of why she was crying.

My favourite part of the hospital stay... Brad brought me some clothes and such and I pulled out my toothbrush and found a present from Catie... a plastic tomato.  It made me chuckle.

Things seem to be better now though.  We're home, she's on the mend and now she's Eden 2.0, wireless (no more IV).

Wish us luck that the crying was all caused by the infection and it will be smooth sailing from here on out.



adorableeeeeeeeeeeee <3

singlemumplusone said...

My little one got sick at 2 weeks with a UTI, and a bunch of other bugs which all resulted in meningitis. There is nothing worse than seeing a little baby covered in wires and beeping machines. I am glad for you that everything is on the mend. I am glad that the doctors didn't dismiss your concerns either. Nothing worse than being treated like an idiot just because you're a mother not a doctor. Beautiful photos of your little one too. Just precious.

Amanda said...

oh my goodness! Poor Eden and mommy!! happy to hear she is on the mend! :)